Just installed the new update and the cars are not counting laps correctly. Mostly missing laps. Everything was fine prior to this. What could have happened, two other people are having the same problem.
Marc, For running the race program I am using a Chromebook on Android 9.0, SmartRace version 3.15.2. Previously I could run 7 cars and all counted correctly. Watching when a car crosses the start finish line it takes awhile before the lap shows up on the screen, almost like the program is falling behind until it completely misses a lap. I have backups created, would it help to restore a backup file.Jim
With 4 cars on the track, each car has the correct lap count. When I go to 5 cars is when I start to see the problem. I tried resetting the control until and a backup file, this did not help.I have 2 friends that are having the same problem on their tracks. They are using ipads version 14.1.
Just to verify something wasn't wrong with my Chromebook, I used the old Carrera App and it counted the car laps correctly. This was with 6 cars on the track. Then I went back to SmartRace with 7 cars and had lots of trouble the car lap counts missing too many laps.
Yes, muting the sound works with running up to 5 cars. Adding 6th car I noticed the display taking longer to update the laps and then it misses a lap.Are you finding anything out on your end?Did you get the file?
Jim, I was finally able to track down the culprit - thank God, really.
The issues you and your friends were facing were caused by a certain command, which was send to the track each time a position update was triggered. This was done every time a car crossed the finish line - for all cars on track, which was not only wrong, but caused a serious load on the CU, causing exactly what you witnessed.
I think the reason why I didn't get more reports on this is that this was more likely to happen on either very short tracks (meaning that cars cross the line more frequently) or with many cars (like in your case). Most people seem to be using the app alone or with two drivers maybe.
I fixed the issue and immediately prepared an update, it is being checked by Google and Apple at this very moment and will hopefully be available later today or tomorrow.
I'll let this ticket open until you confirm the issues are resolved on your end. Thanks again for helping me find the issue.
Wow! That's great! I have been trying many different things on my end. From from possible voltage drop to bluetooth transfer rate, and wifi 2.4 GHz interference with bluetooth. Looking forward to the update.Jim