API Level 30 (Android 11) introduces a lot of changes to file system policies, which is why storing images and other files (e.g. backups) file.external* will no longer work.
Files probably need to be migrated to another directory before support for Android 11 can be added.
Until targetSdkVersion=30 (probably being forced starting from August 2021), the flag android:requestLegacyExternalStorage will make sure the old behavior still works (see https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/use-cases).
- Can we use only internal storage or is there still a way to store files on external storage (e.g. SD cards)?
- What if we force the migration to internal storage but the devices is too low on free storage space?
- Possible workaround for issues: https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-file/issues/426#issuecomment-920924613
- Where to store files: https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-file#where-to-store-files
- Opening database fails on some devices